Friday, October 18, 2013

Stippled mandala

Jiminy. That took a while!

Stippling (similar to pointillism) is time consuming, but what a lovely effect. To learn about the difference, and get some pointers about using stippling, read Linda Farmer's post Going Dotty on tanglepatterns.com.

The Diva's challenge this week is to do a zentangle using stippling. Stippling is not a zentangle technique per se, but tangles can certainly be drawn using stippling rather than line drawing and filling. I decided to use a pre-strung Zendala tile.
Tangles: Black Pearlz, Lamar, Opus, Pearlz (not in a row),
Phuds, Printemps (but it's hardly visible anymore), Tripoli
I used a 01 and a 05 pen, and no pencil shading. It's a little tough to get dark enough darks; I think I need more real black here. I think it would be an interesting effect to use some stippling in amongst regular tangles.  Hmmm...

19 comments:

  1. As always, stunning work, Margaret!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Very beautiful, onde of the best I've seen with this technic.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wat een mooie zendala, en veel werk.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. "What a beautiful zendala, and much work." (Google translate)

      Delete
  4. This must have taken hours. It is beautiful and I find it amazing how you threaded the ribbons through the diamond shapes.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Susan, I have to credit Zentangle for that. I used a round tile with a grey guideline 'string' already on the paper (thus "pre-strung"). They're great fun to use.

      Delete
  5. Very masterfully done! Beautiful work!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Wow an amazing tile, it must have taken you ages

    ReplyDelete
  7. Of all the pre-strung zendalas, for me, this wass the toughest one to tangle. Your stippled mandala is magnificent! It shows me a new way to approach a difficult area in a work. I especially love the faint illusion of printemps in the darkest shaded area. My only wish is that when I click on the image the image that comes up is smaller than the image in the blog ... wish it were larger to show some of the details. You are the master of zentangle tutorials, even when they aren't defined as such!

    ReplyDelete
  8. OMG, this is amazing, I can't believe you didn't use any shading. Beautiful.

    ReplyDelete
  9. This is definitely the most beautiful from this weeks challenge !
    It takes my breath away !

    ReplyDelete
  10. Wow Margaret! You know how to create some fabulous art! BEAUTIFUL

    ReplyDelete
  11. This is absolutely stunning and inspirational! My favorite example of the submissions I've seen for this challenge. WOW!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Crackerjack Margaret you are the queen of stippling!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Wow! Good things come to those with patience! It's gorgeous.

    ReplyDelete