Monday, October 9, 2017

Tranzending

I've been trying to get a handle on a new zentangle technique called tranzending. Essentially it's a method of laying one tangle over another, often giving a watery or glass-like effect. You can watch Rick and Maria demonstrate and chat about tranzending on this Youtube video.

I raided my stash of completed tiles and chose several to experiment with. On the first one I re-used the tangle Fleurette and did it over the entire tile.
Tangles: Drobbles, Fleurette, Knightsbridge, Spinning, Tipple
On the second I reproduced one quarter the flower in a corner. I rather like both of these.
Tangles: Finery, Lotus Pods
Next I tried placing one large Artoo over a tile that included Artoo in the original tangles.
Tangles: Artoo, Lotus Pods, Pearlz, Tipple
I tried a larger Fengle over a smaller one. Much as I love this tangle for its welcoming of other tangles and more detail, I think that what's underneath here is too intricate to take an overlay well. There's just too much going on.

I had a fairly intricate tile, but it was the same tangle all over. I decided to try a simple tangle over it, and chose Echoism. This worked quite well I think.
Tangles: Black Pearlz, (pinched) Assunta, Echoism
 Looking through some other work I realized that I'd done tranzending on a tile received from Lynn Mead in the Travelling Tangles project on Facebook. Maybe my lesson here is KISS ("Keep it Simple, Stupid").  :)
Tangles: Florz, Tipple
I'll definitely be trying this technique again.

6 comments:

  1. Great work as always Margaret! Thanks for sharing. Regards from MAdrid.

    ReplyDelete
  2. love them all. i've had fun finding the tangles that worked best over and under most of all, i love the ability to resuscitate old so-so tiles.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, it's nice to take a tile that's ho-hum and possibly turn it into something more interesting.

      Delete
  3. Love this, Margaret! I was watching Rick and Maria's Youtube video the other day and thinking I must give it a try. Your examples are all lovely and so varied. The Fengle one that you were rather down on reminds me of Picasso! I think it's great!

    Shoshi

    ReplyDelete
  4. WOW always spectacular to visit your blog! Thanks for sharing! Inge

    ReplyDelete