Thursday, May 3, 2018

CADENT SQUARED

One way to vary a tangle is to change straight lines for curvy ones, or vice versa. In this case it's vice versa - I've changed all the curvy lines in Cadent to straight ones. (I'd like to write it 'Cadent with a small superscript 2 beside the t' but I can't seem to do that in Blogger so I'll settle for Cadent2.
Tangles: Black Pearlz, Cadent2, Crescent Moon, Stoic, Tipple
Start by drawing the grid of circles, but draw squares instead and fill them black.
As with the classic, curved Cadent, start at the bottom of one shape and move to the top of the next one. This time, however, draw a straight line halfway out, draw up the height of the square, and to the right again to connect with the next square. Do this for all the rows, then turn your paper 90 degrees and draw across in the other direction.

Now, instead of the 83 words above, here are three simple drawings:

As with the original Cadent, this tangleation has many possible variations by making small changes or additions. The squares could be left white. They could be done larger, or smaller. You could Aura inside the X-shapes. If the squares are large enough you could draw an interesting fragment in them.

At the bottom of the next tile is Cadent squared. On the right side is a gussied up original Cadent. At the top is Cadent2 with rounding. (For a lot of ideas for variations of the original Cadent check out the blog post here.)  
Tangles: Black Pearlz, Cadent, Cadent2, Crescent Moon
This effect is achieved quite simply by rounding all the corners. See the example in red below. Do this throughout and you'll end up with the pattern in the rest of the example.

Here are some other variations:
It's quite possible someone has stepped-out this tangleation before, and possibly given it its own name. If so, I'd be interested to know.
Tangles: Cadent2, Dewd, Knightsbridge, Shard, Snail

15 comments:

  1. Fantastic idea! Wonderful illustrations too! Looking forward to giving it a try! Thanks, Margaret!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Holly! I look forward to seeing what you do with it.

      Delete
  2. Oh my goodness, these variations are wonderful.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Chrissie. Once I get going with variations they just seem to keep coming!

      Delete
  3. You never cease to amaze me with the variety and number of variations/tangleations your creative mind discovers! What a delightful invitation to choose just about any tangle and "let loose". :) These are all wonderful and will certainly fill yet another page in my journal with "Margaret's Magnificent Musings"!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. OOH! There is enough here to teach an entire class on Cadent alone.
    Wonderful ideas and variations. Thank you (one again!), Margaret.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Margaret, one of my students, Jani Romero, was unable to post a comment here so asked me to do so. "I like your work so much! You inspired me to try this one." She sent me a photo of her wonderful piece but I don't know how to send it to you.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Jan, try my e-mail: margaret.bremner.artist@gmail.com

      Delete
  6. I really admire your ability to come up with cool stuff and to distill the idea in such instructive posts! I once too did some kind of "And then some..."-post and I know how moch work such an article is.. So thank you for that! Your inspiration is very much appreciated. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  7. You are amazing as always. So creative.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Thank you very much for another wonderful inspiring post with a gorgeous new variation on Cadent!

    ReplyDelete