Friday, July 1, 2011

I Can Dinsky

Recently at the Zentangle Inspired Art Yahoo group there was a challenge that inspired me. One of the members wrote: "Every time I see the Concentric Circles in Squares by the artist Kandinsky - I am so drawn to it. In fact I have a shower curtain that has concentric circles in bold colors...  the challenge is to create a piece of art using concentric circles AND incorporating tangles into that piece of art. Use bold colors as Kandinsky did." Well, I've been into circles for a long time, and also enjoy Kandinsky's paintings. Here's the one that inspired the Yahoo challenge:

Vasily Kandinsky's "Color Study: Squares with Concentric Circles" ca. 1913

I've always liked repeated patterns (who'da thunk?). I used a piece of white, 4-ply mat board, a little larger than 8"x10", and measured out the squares.  I drew some round and round circles with water-soluble colored pencils, then carefully 'painted' each ring with water to eliminate the pencil lines. Then out came the pens! After that, shading with colored pencils. Here's my take on Squares with Concentric Circles, which I'm calling Zendinsky. :-)

Tangles: Arches, Betweed, Caviar, Coaster, Daggerly, Finery, Florez, Hibred, Knightsbridge, Lotus Pods, Munchin, Parabola, Pearlz (sort of), Perfs, Sanibelle, Striping, Tipple, Unyun, Wud
This was a lot of fun. I'm thinking of using this idea again, maybe in gray tones? maybe larger? maybe...?

9 comments:

  1. Wow! Wow! Margaret this is AMAZING!!! I love that you called it Zendinsky!!! Thanks for doing this challenge!! Wow this blows me away. I haven't finished mine yet. I wanted to do a large piece also to put in the bathroom where the Kandinsky - like shower curtain lives! Patty (CZT 4) from ZIA group.

    ReplyDelete
  2. BELLISSIMO! I really like it!!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love Kandinsky... Great job on your tangled interpretation!

    ReplyDelete
  4. EYE CANDY!!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I'm impressed! I love 'Zendinsky'.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Great name. Great idea. Great art. Thannks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete