Wednesday, December 7, 2011

Icosahedron?

You may recognize that word from the Zentangle kit. The kit comes with an icosahedron die and a legend for when you just can't think which tangle to do next.

An icosahedron is a 3-D shape with 20 sides. At the right is a diagram of the most simple version, with flat faces. They can also be truncated (which flattens the points into pentagons) or stellated (which pulls the faces out into points and makes it star-like). The measurements are related to sacred geometry and the Platonic solids. Fascinating! I love these 3D geometric shapes.


I also love second hand stores. At one I bought a book - Cut and Assemble 3-D Star Shapes - made of heavy cardstock. It contains the parts required to cut out and construct three different shapes.

The blue background of the
book cover doesn't help much.


Lovely and fascinating, but no doubt more lovely and more fascinating if tangled first! I started drawing in the book (parental *gasp*).

The book calls all three shapes icosahedra, but the particular one I'm starting with has 12 yellow faces (and 30 blue faces). Looks like a dodecahedron (12 sides) to me.






I scribbled in the book (parental *gasp* #2) : pencil strings over the stars. I'm using black ink on the yellow parts, but the blue is fairly dark so I'm using white there. Here's part of a page I've tangled so far.


I'll post a photo when this piece is tangled, constructed and hanging from the ceiling.

2 comments:

  1. Looks like so much fun I just placed an order with Dover books myself. I also had an email that gave me $10 off if I bought $20 - (discount code is dc1x)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love it. And I'm not gasping. Why can't you write in the book if you are just going to cut the book up anyway to make your stars! Can't wait to see the finished product.

    ReplyDelete