Thursday, January 12, 2012

Circular tangles

I've been trying some circular tangles, specifically Danni O'Brien's Crossview and Joyce Block's Not-a-Knot. There is a similarity, and they both have a Celtic feel; perhaps that's why I think they go well together. I showed one in an earlier post (4th tile).

In the lower right of this tile I tried adding some curves to Not-a-Knot, which I rather like.
Tangles: Black Pearlz, Blinkles, Crescent Moon, Not-a-Knot, Prestwood, Tipple

In the next tile I tried that again, adding curves to the outside edge as well as the inner parts. I also tried out Maria Thomas's idea of doing Tipple more regularly, moving from tiny 'bubbles' to gradually larger and larger ones. I really like the effect! Read about it on the Zentangle blog here.
Tangles: Black Pearlz, Crossview, Fohbraid, Knase, Not-a-Knot, Tipple
Tangles: Beadlines, Caviar, Crossview, Drupe, Magma, Not-a-Knot,
Tipple, Undiala. I also used a two-pencil string

There are quite a number of tangles that are large circles. Besides Crossview and Not-a-Knot there's Circfleur, Cirquital, Daggerly, Drupe, Dust Bunny, Fracas, Gneiss, Hurakán, Marasu, Pepper, Striped Snail, and many more. They'd make very interesting middles for zentangle-inspired mandalas, and could even spread out into the mandala. Ooooo, too many ideas!

4 comments:

  1. I really enjoyed your exploration of circular tangles - especially that last one - I love how the swirls wind through the tile and lead you round and round. Thanks so much for the inspiration!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I've always enjoyed patterns like this but never knew it had a title. Love watching your blog, makes me want to doodle big time
    peace n abundance
    CheyAnne
    http://cheyannesexton.etsy.com

    ReplyDelete