Thursday, June 27, 2013

Calgary

In our part of the world - Laura the DivaCZT and I live in the same city - but further west, there has been some terrible flooding recently. Downtown Calgary, Alberta was essentially closed and deserted for a couple of days. A friend with whom I spent a weekend two years ago (giving a Zentangle workshop!) lives near High River; they're 'high and dry' but friends of theirs have probably lost their home. Another friend reported on family members: "They were rescued from their floodwater-encircled apartment building near downtown High River by a front-end loader and a dump truck." Recent clean-up and restart estimates are between five and eight billion dollars.

When I started reading the challenge I thought we were going to have a water theme, but in fact it's an open challenge. I was already thinking water, so I went with that. I used a pre-strung Zendala tile, blue pens and pencils, and tried to think of some water-related tangles. Seeing some of the photos recently, maybe I should have thought 'mud'.
Tangles: Aura, Beadlines, Black Pearlz, Bunzo, C-Scape,
Kandysnake, Lamar, Opus, Tipple,

Calgary and other parts of Alberta aren't the only places with lots of water. Perhaps the most severe are the monsoons in Uttarakhand (a northern Indian state); the rain is the heaviest in nearly 80 years. Besides the Ganges River, climate change is likely to worsen floods on the Nile and the Amazon rivers.

21 comments:

  1. Beautiful Zendala. I like the blue and the spiraling of the tangles.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love the water, it swirls and moves with so many emotions in this zendala! Awesome - truly awesome!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I went through all the entries this week so far and there are so many amazing artworks. I have to admit though that yours is my favorite by far. I love the patterns you chose and the blue colouring is simply stunning. I think your Zendala shows how much heart you put in it and how much you're touched by the destruction so many people are experiencing right now.

    Amazingly beautiful.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Very beautiful. Do you sell your art? This would look amazing at my beach home.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Beth, yes, I do sell my art. Could you e-mail me and we can discuss it? Look under the 'Contact and Copyright' tab at the top for my e-mail address. Glad you like it!

      Delete
  5. Absolutely beautiful!! Wonderful coloring.

    ReplyDelete
  6. WOW....I love your water Zendala.
    I can't stop looking at it, so many beautiful details!

    ReplyDelete
  7. This is so pretty and watery looking.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Lovely Zendala! The shading is beautifully rendered!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Simply stunning. While the reality is currently "mud", perhaps this tile is the hope of clean water?

    ReplyDelete
  10. I love this to the moon and back, Margaret! Simply gorgeous. All the blues...wow.

    ReplyDelete
  11. This is one gorgeous zendala. I love the blues in all the shades you used. Your description of the situation in Calgary gives me pause; some of us are so blessed, and we need to do what we can to help those in need.

    ReplyDelete
  12. This IS swirling, turbulent water! Your Zendala is absolutely one of the most beautiful art pieces I've ever seen, I really mean it!!

    ReplyDelete
  13. The connection and flow of watery tangles show depth and mystery in a very effective way.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Lovely done and the blue water beautiful. Nice paterns used!

    ReplyDelete
  15. This is just beautiful. I'm a big fan of yours. I didn't realize this was yours when I was admiring it in the slideshow, and I laughed that it led me to your page, which I've already visiting many times!

    ReplyDelete