Sunday, February 9, 2014

WUD, and a ribbon variation

Tangles: Black Pearlz, Paradox, Sindoo, Tripoli, Wud,
Wud with ribbon variation

When I attended the third CZT teacher training seminar in May 2010, one of the other students, Joni Feddersen, shared a tangle that she decided to call Wud. It's commonly used in architectural drawings as a symbol for wood and I've used it many times. It's very simple, and makes a nice border. Here's how to draw Wud:

Recently I developed this lovely variation of Wud. I wanted something slightly darker and bolder so I added 'ribbons'. To do this, in between steps two and three above, add a ribbon. I like to add highlights, but you don't have to.
Then continue with the Aura lines and you get this variation of Wud:
Then add shading, just a little on each edge, perhaps more at the smallest of the arcs.

Here are two ATCs. The one on the left has Wud in it's original form in the green bands. The one on the right has Wud with the ribbons variation at the bottom, and the original Wud in various other places.

9 comments:

  1. I love what you have done with "Wud" Margaret. I was the Czt in training that showed that tangle. It is a very commonly used hatching that is used in architectural drawings. thank you your finding some excellent ways to show it off. Joni Feddersen, CZT sesson 3

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Joni, I'll update my post right now. Somehow I didn't connect it with you so I'm glad to know!

      Delete
  2. You know what I love about you Margaret, it's how willingly you share your findings when you discover new/different ways of doing tangles. For a new CZT (#13) like myself, you are a real diamond! You already helped me wit making Meer go around a corner when I asked, and I will never forget that. I have not tried Wud yet, but I love it's simplicity and I adore the variations, so thank you!
    One other question, your ATC's are they actually part of a larger tangled piece that you then cut into ATC sizes? What paper are you using when you make them so colourful, I assume some watercolour paper? Last question, what size is that larger piece if that is how you go about it and how long does it take you to do one? (Sorry, so many questions, I just love all the work you do!)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much, Brenda! I'd forgotten who had asked about Meer, but I had fun thinking about it.
      About the ATCs: I use a variety of papers for my artwork. Favorites are Tiepolo, Stonehenge, vellum Bristol, and manga drawing paper. The larger, unfinished artworks that I cut in pieces to make the ATCs were maybe 12x12 or 12x14 inches. Only once have I started a larger piece intending to cut it into ATCs. Most of my cards have been single productions but I got involved with two very large swaps and needed a LOT of cards so I cut up work that was less satisfactory.

      Delete
  3. I am so pleased to have WUD...as it was not in my collection for some reason.
    Those amazing simple tangles but delicately and intricately changeable always turn out to be favorites.
    Thanks for the examples. I just posted my first tangle on my blog...after 3 years I thought it was time I at least "tried" one. See Feb 10 post.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Very clever, Margaret! Gives Joni's Wud a whole new look. Love it, love it.
    Tricia czt3

    ReplyDelete
  5. WUD is WONDERFUL!. This is a tangle I shall definitely find lots of uses for. It is flowing and yet there is an angular feeling as well. Yhanks for sharing Margaret !

    ReplyDelete
  6. Margaret, I love the WUD pattern and your ATCs! It is a fun tangle and so pretty. Thank you for sharing.

    ReplyDelete