Monday, April 14, 2014

Faking a leaky pen

I while ago I had my first encounter with a leaky Micron pen. It turned out rather well (see this post) and I wanted to do more in that vein, but I had trouble making the pen leak adequately for my needs. :)

I have some Staedtler Calligraph Duo pens which have both a broad and a narrow end, and found that I could use this calligraphy pen in a rather sloppy manner and get a very similar effect to the leaky pen.

Below, you can see the heavier black of the calligraphy pen, mainly around the edges. The 'messy' marks are an interesting counterpoint to the delicacy of zentangle tangles.
Tangles thus far: Dex, Dust Bunny, Florz, Flukes,
Knightsbridge, Palrevo, Pearlz, Printemps, Zewm

Here is a lotus on a zendala tile. The 'fake leaky pen' work is mainly in the background behind the petals. I've 'neatened up' quite a few of the rough edges.
"Lotus Spin" (c) Margaret Bremner 2014
Tangles: Pearlz, Shattuck, Tortuca variation, Unyun

I also have a red pen of the same sort so I tried that too. I quite like this little piece and called it "Red Square".  :)  I mounted it on canvas, painted the border and sides red, and it found a new home at a recent exhibition.
"Red Square" (c) Margaret Bremner 2014
Tangles: Black Pearlz, Diva Dance, Finery, Flukes, Lamar,
Pearlz, Printemps, Shattuck, Tagh, Zewm

The Staedtler pens also come in blue and green, so I may have more fun in store!

1 comment: