Saturday, August 20, 2011

PRESTWOOD - a new tangle!

My mother loves Canadiana antiques. For a while she was a member of a furniture refinishing group. One of her projects was a pair of pressed back chairs. The chairs have an interesting pattern on the back. You could see where this was going, couldn't you?


It's fairly simple and I think lends itself to some interesting variations. Here's how to do Prestwood.

Here are some tiles with Prestwood.
Tangles: Assunta, Black Pearls, Dust Bunny, Finery, Hibred, Munchin, Ogen, Prestwood, Spinners
Tangles: Crescent Moon, Flux, Prestwood, Puf, Striping, Tipple, and a Knightsbridge Aura
Tangles: Assunta, Aura, Beeline, Caviar, Prestwood, Rain, Scoodles
For an interesting variation of Prestwood, developed later, see this post.

15 comments:

  1. I love Prestwood....seems to have many possibilities!. Margaret I like how you take the time to tell us all the tangles (by name) in your pieces. Thanks for all your effort. m

    ReplyDelete
  2. Cool! Thanks Margaret! I so need to get busy posting my tangles, too.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Can't wait to give this a go, thank you so much.

    ReplyDelete
  4. This is really fun and has a different feel from many of the tangles I tend to use. Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  5. J'aime beaucoup celui-ci qui va être pratique et très ornemental! Merci!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I love it...thanks!
    Cheryl C. :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. I like this one but it sort of reminds me of diagrams of a uterus, LOL.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Thanks to Tanglepatterns.com for bringing Prestwood to my attention today! I really like this tangle and the story behind it. And, when I looked to see when you had posted it, I discovered that your post was on my birthday! I look forward to sharing this tangle with my elementary art students. Thank you for developing this tangle and sharing the steps. Love your examples, too!

    ReplyDelete
  9. This pattern reminds me of the Christmas candy that my Aunt and Uncles had out at Christmas time every year as a child.

    ReplyDelete
  10. It looks easier than when you try. I'm trying, but those inner parts are hard!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Such a beautiful tangle...and so easy...I cannot wait to incorporate it into one of mine...

    ReplyDelete
  12. I agree with Crotnem - any tips for creating the inner "rolls"? I just can't get it looking as good as yours! :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Three things might help:
      1) the initial 'rolling zigzag' need to be rather tight and the 'loops' fairly close together.
      2) the inner roll doesn't flow out of the outer one (I've seen some done like that), but rather is a separate shape with it's own bump at the base.
      3) the inner roll should touch in the middle creating a droplet shape.

      Does that help!

      Delete