Monday, June 19, 2017

Bodhi tree "old" manuscript

One of my recent eco-dyed papers was a single leaf, and - although is isn't - it reminded me of the Bodhi tree leaves of India. In fact, the leaf itself looked much like a tree.
Tangles: Arukas, Coaster, Crescent Moon, Finery, Flux,
Hurly Burly, Marasu, Opus, Pearlz, Perfs, Printemps,
Shattuck, Unyun, Wud
I liked it, and thought it would pair well with a quotation, like an old book, similar to a recent piece "Discerning Eyes".

I wanted a quotation that referred to the bodhi tree, or enlightenment, or even both. I found one from the Buddhist scriptures, but it was awkwardly worded: "After six years' right sitting under the Bodhi tree of the wisdom throne, I could accomplish Perfect Enlightenment." I altered the wording slightly so it would flow better.

The Buddhist Noble Eightfold Path consists of right view, right aspiration, right speech, right action, right livelihood, right effort, right mindfulness, right concentration. I was rather charmed by the idea that there may also be a right way to sit!

Here is the pair of pages:
More "old" manuscripts to come I'm sure!

6 comments:

  1. Love this 💖💖

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is amazing! I am a huge fan of your work, I can stay staring at it for hours. The combination of patterns and the use of color is absolutely beautiful! The more I look at it the more intrigue I get, besides the color from the paper dye what do you use for adding those amazing maroon and yellow colors, is it color pencils, watercolors, markers, distress inks..? I can't figure it out and it is gorgeous. Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Gaby! I mainly use Sakura micron pens, but also Pitt brush pens, Sakura metallic inks, and occasionally other brands for specific colors. I also do a lot of finishing with colored pencils.

      Delete
  3. This is truly beautiful Margaret! Do you ever sell any of your art like this or like your "Chakra" series?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Deanne. Yes, I do sell my artwork. This one is not yet framed, therefore easier to send! Please e-mail me at margaret.bremner.artist@gmail.com if you'd like to discuss.

      Delete