I created 20 tiles with no border and a similar string, then arranged them and mounted them on a 16"x20" canvas, leaving about an inch all around. This is the type of string I used for all the tiles. The black perimeter line is the edge of the paper tile. I left the four corners blank, and filled the other sections so it would look as if parts were going over and under each other.
Here are two of the 20 tiles I used. I actually did a few more so I'd have some choice when it came to arranging them. Once I had them matched up to my satisfaction, it was necessary to add a bit more pen drawing in a few places so the flow was smoother.
I felt there was a need for more 'flow' and I love adding non-paint-and-paper things to my artwork. With this piece I added some actual ribbon, some with white dots on black, some with black dots on white. I used a pointy X-Acto knife to cut through the canvas, poked the ends of the ribbon pieces through the holes, and glued them in place on the back.
At the edges of the canvas I painted black where the 'ribbons' would have extended, and white in between. Here's a detail of one edge. You can see the two kinds of ribbon that I used, and also - at the top and right - some of the black paint at the perimeter.
Once it was all assembled, the places where the corners of the tiles met looked too uneven, so I put a small black brad at each intersection. This is the back of the canvas, showing ribbon ends and brad flanges.
And... ta-da! Here is the final work, 16"x20". It's still unframed but I'll look for something black with a bit of detail.