Monday, September 14, 2015

Stripes challenge

A simple challenge this week from the DivaCZT: draw pencil stripes on the tile. This is your string. Tangle it. Of course, the simplest idea can lead in surprising directions!

I used my 'double pencil' on the first tile. It gave me some rather small square sections. A few of the lines were darker than the rest and it sort of looked like a mat. I used Hollibaugh to separate the squares and Msst for the fringe. The border began with Seljuk, which I really liked until I added other things, then the white was too white.
Tangles: Black Pearlz, Hollibaugh, Msst, Tortuca
Next time I gave myself larger squares, but drew the lines blind. I thought about how many square grid tangles there are and decided to do one square of a tangle per section. Knightsbridge and Seljuk are scattered throughout.
Square grid tangles, top left to bottom right:
Up and Across, Cubine, Sindoo, Yew-Dee, Tortuca, Ripples, Eye-Wa,
Fleurette, Dex, Gottago, Demi, Earth Rising, Flukes, Paradox, Well
I spotted some black tiles on my desk, and since I almost never do white on black I decided that would be a good change. I drew the pencil lines, which of course looked like a square grid to me, not stripes. I thought of W2 and decided to use the black paper as the black squares and tangle the rest of it.

So I drew all the lines in white and was intending to add highlighting in white and be done with it. Then color popped into my mind and I decided to do some ribbons in color. Then all hell broke loose. Multiple colors! Black Glaze pen in the black squares (it makes the black so-o-o much deeper)! Two-tone gray highlighting on the other ribbons! Metallic inks at the edges of the colored ribbons!

I really like it! Believe it or not, there is very little of the original black paper showing alone.

17 comments:

  1. Ooo... I really love your black tile. They look like shiny satin ribbons woven together. Nice to see. Your new chop looks good in white too.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love your new chop: LOL it is the one I recommended! The black tile looks like satin ribbons, I must say I enjoy very few black tiles and this is one.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh, that's really creative with this wonderful border!!! I love the way you used Msst for it - what a great idea :-)
    The squares are also great with beautiful contrast and shading in each pattern.
    Your metallic one is amazing! I would really like to put it on my wall :-)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Three glorious treats to view! Love the detailed ones and agree with you that the Hollibaugh one is super special!
    Axxx

    ReplyDelete
  5. The black tile is gorgeous!! The other two are lovely too, I think the first one is my favorite of these two ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Margaret, these are all gorgeous! I love them all, but the second one is classic MB! And I have to say again I love your new chop!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Wow! You were busy. I think my favorite is your abstract in the center. It is such a unique use of the tangles and looks fantastic!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Gorgeous work! I like the Msst as fringe and I really love the last one. Must spend more time with black tiles! I do like the chop you chose too!

    ReplyDelete
  9. All three tiles are absolutely fantastic - I can`t find the right words for that!
    An it is very hard to decide which I like most. The second one is really pop art and the third one is simple and so elegant coloured. Stunning!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Wowzer! All of these pieces are stunning. I love the crazy quilt feeling of the second piece. I admire your work so much~I'm always inspired by it. That last piece is outstanding.

    ReplyDelete
  11. All your tiles are beautiful! Love the black one with the ribbons!

    ReplyDelete
  12. All of your tiles are splendid. I like each one the best (sort of like my mother liked all 3 of her children the best). I really like the way your tangles lift off of (or recede into) the tile. If your last ribbon tile is the result of all hell breaking loose---then I don't think that's a bad thing---in this instance. ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  13. Oh my gracious!!! I LOVE the black tile!!! It is stunning! Of course, that is no surprise to me because I always love your work.

    ReplyDelete
  14. The colour on black tile is stunning and its very simplicity is what makes it special. However, the patterns on the other tow are also pretty amazing and I am filled with admiration.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Margaret - I just have to say that I love all of these interpretations of the Diva's challenge! Each one has such a unique AND beautiful feel to it!

    ReplyDelete
  16. Love all these tiles but that black one is luscious! :-)

    ReplyDelete