Sunday, January 14, 2018

Eco-dyed ZIAs, starts and finishes

I've been enjoying drawing on some of the papers I recently eco-dyed, with the darker darks achieved by using rusty objects in the dye bath. I'm also trying to leave some of the gorgeous eco-dyed sections unadulterated and tangle in just some places.
(You can read my post about my first attempt at eco-dyeing here.)

These are some of the things I've been working on. The finished piece is on one side and the eco-dyed paper I began with is beside it.

"This, Too, Shall Pass"
(c) 2017 Margaret Bremner
6" x 6"
Materials: pen-and-ink, colored pencils, metal leaf

"Splendor in the Grasses"
(c) 2017 Margaret Bremner
8.5" x 9"
Materials: pen-and-ink, colored pencils


"Feather Light"
(c) 2017 Margaret Bremner
11" x 4.5"
Materials: pen-and-ink, colored pencils, metal leaf


"Below the Surface"
(c) 2017 Margaret Bremner
11" x 4.5"
Materials: pen-and-ink, colored pencils, metal leaf
The blue dots in the 'before' photo are liquid frisket, a resist to block out some 'bubbles' while I added blue wash.

15 comments:

  1. These are beautiful. I am longing to try Eco-dying and pick up leaves and plants, to have a go, only for my very tidy husband to dispose of them when I am not looking. Some gorgeous leaves from
    Kew Gardens went that way! Grrrr! I must hide them better. You are a constant inspiration, thank you!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Maybe you need a sticky note that says ‘NOT GARBAGE!’ 😄

      Delete
  2. These are stunningly beautiful! I do so love when you show the before and after.❤️❤️❤️

    ReplyDelete
  3. I just love where your dyes take you. Splendid!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Margaret,
    These are stunning & amazing. Your art is so inspiring to all of us. Thank you for sharing your great talent.

    ReplyDelete
  5. They are all stunning...especially Feather Light...such a balance of color, tangles and inner light.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Incredible pieces. Each has so much character and charm - the grey one reminds me of a Banksy! I love your choice to leave some areas untangled. And the bits you've darkened push out attention to the areas that shine with colour.

    I'm building up to my first plunge onto my own eco tiles. But first a question - are you mostly using brown and grey ink on these? Other than for the black back sections? I don't want to go in with a colour that is too harsh.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, I have three browns, black, and two or three gray pens, plus copper and gold. I’ve done other pieces with more colors but the papers are so brown it just usually invites those tones. (I’ll post some more colourful ones later!)

      Delete
  7. I am in awe of your incredible ability to see opportunities for shapes and colors where my eyes only see what's actually, physically there. Every one of these pieces makes my jaw drop and my eyebrows rise!! Sooooooooo beautiful, Margaret. <3

    ReplyDelete
  8. Thanks to your experiences and your story, I also tried this wonderful technique. I was satisfied about the natural colours appearing on the paper, but what you are showing here is really stunning. These drawings are so beautiful and special, I felt in love immediately. Thank you for sharing Margaret and wish you all the best for the new year!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Ria. This process delivers a lot of lovely browns. I find that most other colors need to be added by me. :)

      Delete
  9. Do you know the Prado Museum in Madrid? During the month of April will be conducting an auction of works of different artists of the XXI century as Gabino Amaya Cacho, Joaquín Agrasot and French Agramunt, in addition to many others. You are cordially invited to participate and visit the facilities. Regards!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Veronica. Last January I had the pleasure of visiting the Prado while on holiday. As I live in the Canadian prairies I don't envision returning soon!

      Delete