Wednesday, May 15, 2019

Cartouches

Cartouche (pronounced car-toosh) is an old term for decorating around something that's the main focus. Often that's a photo, but it could be a piece of memorabilia, or whatever you want to draw attention to. Zentangle recently  offered Project Pack #05, all about cartouches (still pronounced car-toosh). You provide your own 'focus items' but the other supplies are provided in the kit.

I had done a page in my Book using old photos and decided to do another using this 'cartouche' technique. I chose three from my old-photos-to-use-in-artwork file. They all feature me in 1961!

Here I am at a tea party, a birthday party fashion show, and selling Kool-Aid at a sidewalk stand with two friends.
I included everyone's names and the dates (thanks to my mum for penciling that on the backs!). I also did an "embedded" 7 because that's how old I was that year. I admit, I overdid it a bit with the cartouche-ing!

Here's a close-up of my birthday party fashion show. I'm at the back right, in white.

3 comments:

  1. Fantastic, Margaret! Adorable in each one and cartouche are not overdone at all, just perfect way to honor those great photos!

    ReplyDelete
  2. One can NEVER over-cartouche. Fabulous!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Another fabulous page in your oh-so-glorious journal! What an excellent idea to select photos that include YOU at an early age. I haven't drawn any cartouches as yet, but I do have Project Pack #5 and have been waiting for inspiration about what to draw around. I think I've just received it. Thank you, Margaret!! :D

    ReplyDelete